During the week of the fourth, Mia had a bone marrow biopsy and PET and CT scans to see how the cancer was responding. We met with Dr Camilo her oncologist to review the results on Mon the 8th. Her Marrow and scans are all clear! This is good news and means the transplant is definitely on. So then we were waiting for word from the transplant team from Primary Childrens' to let us know when to come down. I expected to going down last week for physicals, blood work and any other preliminary tests to be done on both Jessica and Mia. But there was an issue that I wasn't aware of. Finally on Friday I got the word.
Mia's spleen is still larger than it should be. Apparently there is some concern that it is sequestering white blood cells and platelets making it very hard for the doctors to trust the blood counts that we get with regular testing. One of the doctors in Salt Lake checked with another lymphoma "expert" and the suggestion was made that she should have her spleen taken out before transplant. Of course there are pros and cons with removing her spleen. They will try to do the surgery laparascopically, however that may be difficult because of the size of her spleen and also because of her extremely low platelet count. This is a fairly serious surgery at the best of times and Mia's body is already not in very good condition. We should be doing the surgery this Thursday or Friday. Then there will be a week or two at least of recovery time.
Because her cancer is so aggressive, and there will have been more than a month since her last chemotherapy treatment, there is a possibility that she will need another round before transplant. So we are back to the waiting game as far as transplant goes. We won't be going down to Salt Lake before the first week of August.
Because we thought we were leaving next week, we scheduled a little open house at our house on Sunday between 4 and six. Mia misses her friends and would like to see people. So come by if you like. Please don't bring gifts or sick germs.